Do conkers REALLY repel spiders? Oxford professor puts the old wives tale to the test

Mail Online | 9/2/2019 | Richard White;Joe Pinkstone For Mailonline
darkkazune (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/09/02/11/17967950-0-image-a-7_1567419381395.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2018/06/16/8224120734130979503/1024x576_MP4_8224120734130979503.mp4

The old wives tale of conkers repelling spiders is set to be put to the test by a leading academic at the University of Oxford.

Professor Fritz Vollrath, from the prestigious university's department of zoology, is embarking on a series of experiments with house spiders and the hard brown seeds.

Use - Conkers - Schoolchildren - Playground - Arachnids

It has long been believed the main use for conkers, besides entertaining schoolchildren in a playground, is to deter arachnids.

Although completely unfounded, the urban myth states they contain a noxious chemical that deters the eight-legged beasts.

Test - Professor - Vollrath - Mystery

But no scientific test has been carried out, and Professor Vollrath is set to end the mystery.

The experiment comes as the summer draws to an end and people see an invasion of spiders from gardens into their homes.

Creepy - Crawlies - Season - Feeding

This is when the creepy crawlies are at their biggest after a season of feeding.

As their life cycle begins to expire the females come into the warm to lay their eggs.

Academic - Research - Leader - Professor - Fritz

Academic research leader Professor Fritz said: 'It is probably a myth but nobody has scientifically tested it.

'I think I will do that - put conkers in one corner and put the cob (spider) as far away as possible.'

Whilst - Conkers - Professor - Spiders - Respond

Whilst conkers may be ineffective, the professor said spiders can hear and do respond to sound and vibrations so can be scared away.

Arachnids...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!