Emotional Nate Parker addresses rape controversy, talks future career plans

Screen | 9/1/2019 | Geoffrey Macnab
Kota79Kota79 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://d1nslcd7m2225b.cloudfront.net/Pictures/2000x2000fit/0/6/4/1309064_nateparkercgordoncorrellflickr_958928.jpg

An emotional Nate Parker was in apologetic mood as he addressed the press in Venice on Sunday afternoon (Sept 1) prior to the premiere of his second feature, American Skin, a late addition to the festival line-up.

Flanked by Spike Lee and producer Tarak Ben Ammar, Parker told his audience in Venice’s Hungaria hotel that he had been “tone deaf to a lot of things around in the climate” at the time of the release of his debut feature The Birth Of A Nation (2016), when events in his personal life (in particular an allegation of rape during his student days) came under intense scrutiny.

Response - Time - Lot - People - Lot

“My response during that time obviously left a lot of people frustrated and angered a lot of people and I apologise to them. I am still learning and growing. I am still feeling the need to make films that speak to things that need to change in our country and in the world.”

Spike Lee, chairing the press conference, proclaimed American Skin to be a “masterpiece.”

Film - Deeply - While - 'Nate - Nate

“Honestly, I haven’t had a film that has affected me this deeply in a while. I said, ’Nate, if I can help you, tell me what to do.’ Then Nate and also had a very private conversation. I had to see where his head was. It was no joke what he had to go through.”

Lee also said that the Nate Parker story had “moved forward.” “Nate is in here. He is not hiding. He has answered all questions and we’ve got to move forward. That’s what I feel.”

Screenings - Venice - American - Skin - Buyers

Following its screenings in Venice, American Skin is due to screen to buyers in Toronto. Producer Tarak Ben Ammar implied strongly...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Screen
Wake Up To Breaking News!
The truth fairly and honestly presented, will be spun as a lie by a politician.