Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam’s Nominee Said Catholics Oppose Abortion Because They Like Rape

LifeNews.com | 8/29/2019 | Staff
TitanSwimr (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.lifenews.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/ralphnortham6.png

Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam is facing more criticism this week because of one of his nominee’s derogatory comments toward Catholics, Republican women and others.

Gail Gordon Donegan, appointed this month to the Virginia Council on Women, once made fun of Catholic priests by suggesting that they oppose abortions because they want to rape children.

Abortion - Catholic - Results - Children - Twitter

“Abortion is morally indefensible to Catholic priests bcuz it results in fewer children to rape,” she wrote on Twitter, according to an investigation by the Richmond Times-Dispatch.

Donegan also called Congresswoman Barbara Comstock, a pro-life Republican from Virginia, a “s—head” in 2017 and former pro-life Congresswoman Michele Bachmann, of Minnesota, a “dumb b—-” in 2011, according to the report.

Catholic - Bishops - Virginia - Donegan - Comments

The Catholic bishops in Virginia said Donegan’s comments should disqualify her from serving in a government leadership role, The Roanoke Times reports.

“[She] has demonstrated a pattern of ridiculing Catholic beliefs and employing stereotypes designed to malign people of faith. Had these comments been directed toward any other group of persons, they would have disqualified her from this role,” Bishop Michael Burbidge of Arlington and Bishop Barry Knestout of Richmond said Tuesday in a statement.

Wednesday - Donegan - Resignation - Committee - Atheist

On Wednesday, Donegan announced her resignation from the committee, according to the Friendly Atheist blog. Though she did apologize, she also claimed to be a victim of the people who exposed her horrendous comments. She argued that her tweets were satire.

“I recognize that some of the jokes I told crossed the line, and I apologize to those who were hurt by them,” Donegan said. “Because of my recent advocacy, a small group decided to target the worst of my tens of thousands of tweets and paint a false picture of who I am. … This incident is just another chapter in the bullying that women activists face every day on social media.”

SUPPORT - LIFENEWS - Pro-life

SUPPORT LIFENEWS! If you like this pro-life...
(Excerpt) Read more at: LifeNews.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!