5 Reasons Pastors Ought to Pray for Slow Growth

ChurchLeaders | 8/27/2019 | Staff
just-me (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://churchleaders-eszuskq0bptlfh8awbb.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/8.28.HOME_.CC.SlowGrowth.jpg

Many of us want a big church, but pastors ought to pray for slow growth. We should check our hearts, battle pride, and give thought to the value of slow, steady growth as opposed to rapid, overwhelming growth.

Sometimes, God has other plans. David Platt took over for a mega-church pastor. Matt Chandler’s church experienced remarkable, numerical growth not long after he began preaching. Right after 9/11, Tim Keller saw an immediate increase in attendance of about 1,000 people. God does things like this, but these are the exceptions, not the rule.

Desire - Growth - Idol - Size - Ministry

The desire for fast growth isn’t sinful, but it is sinful to make an idol out of the size of your ministry. And sometimes, the line between godly and ungodly ambition is dangerously thin.

Ten years ago, I watched a preacher set a remarkable goal. He planned for 100 campuses, 100,000 church members, and 1,000 church plants—all in ten years. It’s a seductive vision. Who doesn’t want more church plants, more church members, more Christians? But I’m not convinced it’s a wise vision.

Smaller - Churches - Churches - Nogrowth - Congregation

Smaller churches are not godlier than larger churches. I’m not calling for nogrowth. I’m simply going to suggest both you and your congregation will be well-served by slow and steady growth. If God wants to grow your work at a fantastic rate, submit to his will. The growth of our churches in the hands of our God. We can trust him.

Meanwhile, I pray the members of the church I serve, and the Christians in your church family would live out 1 Thessalonians 1:8, “For not only has the word of the Lord sounded forth from you in Macedonia and Achaia, but your faith in God has gone forth everywhere, so that we need not say anything.”

Pray - Growth - Quality - Quantity

1. Pray for slow growth because quality is better than quantity.

Let me be clear...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ChurchLeaders
Wake Up To Breaking News!