NYT columnist goes to war with professor who called him a 'bedbug' on Twitter

Mail Online | 8/27/2019 | Matthew Wright For Dailymail.com
EGFZE (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/08/27/18/17752654-0-image-a-45_1566927101695.jpg

A New York Times columnist became the laughing stock of Twitter after a professor shared an email from the writer complaining about being called a 'bedbug.'

David Karpf, an associate professor of media and public affairs at George Washington University, took to his social media on Monday to share that columnist Bret Stephens took issue with a tweet the educator made in reference to news that bedbugs were in the NYT newsroom.

Bedbugs - Metaphor - Karpf - Tweet - Bedbugs

'The bedbugs are a metaphor,' Karpf said in his initial tweet. 'The bedbugs are Bret Stephens.'

The tweet had initially received a measly nine likes, which Karpf noted, but eventually made its way to Stephens.

Response - Columnist - Karpf - Email - CC

In response, the columnist took to Karpf's email and CC'd GWU's provost.

'I'm often amazed about the things supposedly decent people are prepared to say about other people - people they've never met - on Twitter,' he said in the email that Karpf shared. 'I think you've set a new standard.'

Opportunity - Home - Wife - Kids - Talk

He continued: I would welcome the opportunity for you to come to my home, meet my wife and kids, talk to us for a few minutes, and then call me a 'bedbug' to my face.

'That would take some genuine courage and intellectual integrity on your part. I promise to be courteous no matter what you have to say. Maybe it will make you feel better about yourself.'

Stephens - Invitation - Snippet - Professor - Post

Stephens added that the invitation was 'standing' and provided a snippet of the professor's post.

Karpf's tweets quickly went viral overnight, with his initial dig garnering more than 24,800 likes and just under 4,000 retweets.

Users - Stephens - Account - Twitter

Many users blasted Stephens, prompting him to delete his account on Twitter.

On Tuesday, Stephens appeared on MSNBC to defend his actions and provide context on why being called a 'bedbug' impacted him so much.

Twitter

'I think Twitter tends to bring out...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
It takes a government, to create a genocide.