5 reasons to buy the new Nintendo Switch Lite, and 3 to skip it

CNET | 8/27/2019 | Scott Stein
Click For Photo: https://cnet4.cbsistatic.com/img/DDUznJC1jeQrIsPt6KBnem0BZRE=/756x567/2019/08/26/70427c64-7ab1-4c2c-8278-9aeccacdfcf7/17-nintendo-switch-lite.jpg

The Switch Lite, in all three colors. It's handheld-only, but it feels great.

It feels good. This is the second time I've held Nintendo's upcoming game system, the Nintendo Switch Lite. The first time, right before Nintendo announced the handheld, I played for about 15 minutes. This time, I got to look at it for over an hour in a New York loft, a preview before the hardware is available Sept. 20.

Switch - Lite - Version - Switch - Lot

Should you buy one? The Switch Lite is already available to preorder. It's mostly just a more affordable, handheld-only version of the Switch. And, actually, there's a lot to love about the Switch Lite... but there's also some stuff that's not so great.

First of all: Consider that Nintendo has just updated the larger Switch to include better battery life. We call that version the Switch V2 (yes, it can get confusing -- here's how to tell the difference between the Switches). Also, consider that Nintendo's method of transferring games and saves between systems is really not fun.

Nintendo - Game - System - TV - Switch

But for those who want the latest and most affordable Nintendo game system and don't care that it doesn't connect to a TV, the Switch Lite is for you. If you want flexibility and are thinking about playing two-player games a lot, I'd get the V2 version of the regular Switch instead.

The lower price. $100 less matters when you're considering paying $200 instead of $300. (It's £200 versus £280 in the UK, or AU$330 versus AU$399 in Australia.) It's the least expensive Nintendo Switch system available. That's a key price difference, although sometimes the original Switch ends up being available in specially priced hardware bundles that could be tempting.

Size - Feels - Screen - Game

The smaller size feels great: I prefer it. Even with a smaller 5.5-inch screen, I haven't seen a game that doesn't look good on it. I've...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: