Fixing Your City: How To Create Thriving Neighborhoods and Adapt to a Changing World

Uncommon God, Common Good | 8/24/2019 | Staff
vegdancer18 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/307/2019/08/Book3D_72dpi_cropped.jpg

Tired of watching your city being degraded by new development that doesn’t fit? Paying for city plans that never get implemented? Wondering what your city can do to respond to climate change? In his groundbreaking book, Fixing Your City, Portland urban architect George Crandall reveals how to produce city plans that mitigate climate change and create healthy places to live, work, and play. This is not a theoretical book about cities – it is a practical book based on Crandall’s wide experience transforming cities in the U.S. and Canada over the last 40 years.

In light of the book’s thrust and ringing endorsements, we reached out to Mr. Crandall for an interview.

Paul - Louis - Metzger - PLM - Career

Paul Louis Metzger (PLM): What led you after a long and vibrant career as an architect to put down your draftsman pencil and pick up the literary pen to write your first book?

George Crandall (GC): lt was not a sudden decision or afterthought. I worked as an architect for 30 years. The work was exciting and rewarding (USNB – Big Pink in downtown Portland and the rehab of Portland’s historic Central Library). I also worked as the lead urban designer on several significant planning projects (Mt. Hood Freeway Environmental Impact Study that recommended that the freeway should not be built and the Sauvie Island and West Hills Comprehensive Plan that recommended that the island be retained as farmland). During that time I realized that planners and architects knew a lot about their specialties but very little about the design of cities. Twenty years ago I decided to start a firm (Crandall Arambula) that would combine the architect’s design expertise with the planner’s knowledge about social and contextual issues. The firm would have a singular focus – revitalizing cities. Since then we have completed plans in over 100 cities of different...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Uncommon God, Common Good
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Speaking only as an infidel......