MIT reveals Jeffrey Epstein donated $800K to its Media Lab and a professor

CNET | 8/23/2019 | Sean Keane
hakimi308hakimi308 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://cnet4.cbsistatic.com/img/-oKEnToIJv8YvIMRp2vUzAPdJME=/756x567/2015/10/30/e5dd33ba-64ef-4145-b9f3-68a77edcbcf0/mit-media-lab-maki-building.jpg

Media Lab got some of the $800,000 donations from Jeffrey Epstein's foundations.

MIT received around $800,000 in donations from Jeffrey Epstein over 20 years, the university said in a statement Thursday. The money came from foundations controlled by the disgraced financier, who took his own life earlier this month as he was being held in jail on federal charges of sex trafficking, and went to MIT's Media Lab and Professor Seth Lloyd. Two professors have already severed ties with the Media Lab over Epstein's donations.

Regret - Processes - MIT - Years - Instance

"To my great regret, despite following the processes that have served MIT well for many years, in this instance we made a mistake of judgment," L. Rafael Reif, the elite university's president, wrote in the statement.

"In response, I have asked Provost Marty Schmidt to convene a group to examine the facts around the Epstein donations and identify any lessons for the future, to review our current processes and to advise me on appropriate ways we might improve them."

Media - Lab - Research - Robots - Black

The Media Lab, known for research into domestic robots and Black Mirror-esque online social experiments, got drawn into scandal over its links to Epstein.

Director Joi Ito apologized for accepting Epstein's money on behalf of the research center and his personal tech startup...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.