Brazil: Bolsonaro Suggests NGO’s Started Amazon Wildfires After Cutting Their Funding

Breitbart | 8/22/2019 | Staff
Micaella (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://media.breitbart.com/media/2019/08/GettyImages-1161986684-640x335.png

Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro has suggested that various non-governmental organizations (NGOs) are responsible for the recent spate of forest fires across the Amazon in a bid to undermine his administration and wider political agenda.

Bolsonaro made the comments amid data from Brazil’s National Institute for Space Research (NISR), which monitors deforestation and wildfires, showing that around 74,000 fires have occurred across the Amazon rainforest in 2019, an 84 percent increase from the same period in 2018.

Question - Burning - Amazon - Opinion - NGOs

“On the question of burning in the Amazon, which in my opinion may have been initiated by NGOs because they lost money, what is the intention?” Bolsonaro said at a steel industry congress in Brasilia. “Maybe — I am not affirming it — these (NGOs) are carrying out some criminal actions to draw attention against me, against the government of Brazil. This is the war we are facing.”

When asked if he could provide evidence for his allegations he said, “Did I accuse NGOs directly? I just said I suspect them.”

Claim - Month - Bolsonaro - Head

The claim also comes a month after Bolsonaro fired the head of...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Breitbart
Wake Up To Breaking News!