The Christian Post

www.christianpost.com | 8/22/2019 | Staff
baileyboo (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn.christianpost.com/files/original/thumbnail/23/26/232638.jpg

Trump, the chosen?

Facebook Twitter Email Menu Comment

Chosen - One

“I am the chosen one.”

Thus was the declaration of President Donald Trump on August 21, 2019.

Statement - Miasma - Utterances - Others - President

The statement was made in a miasma of utterances from others as well as the president. The tangle of tweets obscured the context of Trump’s initial declaration and forced even some left-tilting journalists to dig out Bibles, wipe off the dust, and become students of the Word, for the moment, anyway.

The strict context that has been lost in the swirl had to do with China trade and the imbalances in current policy. Somebody, said Trump, had to deal with it, and “I am the chosen one.”

Assertion - Trump - Mistake - Heavens - Trump

As he made that assertion, Trump made the mistake of gazing up at the heavens. For many, Trump was implying that he himself was the singular chosen of God in this hour.

To compound the mish-mash of wrong impressions and unfortunate implications, Trump’s declaration of his chosen stature was voiced in the midst of controversy over a comment by Wayne Allyn Root of Newsmax who said that “the Jewish people in Israel” love Trump “like he’s the king of Israel... like he is the second coming of God.”

Trump - Mistake - Root - Statement - King

Trump’s mistake was in retweeting Root’s statement rather than disclaiming himself as “king of Israel” and “second coming of God.”

But wait; there’s more.

Sense - Donald - Trump - God - Claim

There is a sense in which Donald Trump is “chosen” of God (and I would be making the same claim had Hillary Clinton won in 2016). Those who take a conservative view of the Bible—that would include me—take seriously words in Daniel 2:21:

“It is He (God) who changes the times and the epochs;

Kings - Establishes - Kings

He removes kings and establishes kings...”

In the New Testament, Simon Peter writes to people living under cruel Roman emperors:

Passages - Facets - Perfect - God

This and other passages show that two facets of the perfect will of God are...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.christianpost.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: