Trump joked about trading Puerto Rico for Greenland. Puerto Ricans are joking back.

MSN | 7/20/2019 | Nicole Acevedo
ashb0101 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://img-s-msn-com.akamaized.net/tenant/amp/entityid/AAGbBWj.img?h=630&w=1200&m=6&q=60&o=t&l=f&f=jpg&x=1004&y=1138&imgtype=.jpg

President Donald Trump has been joking recently about trading Puerto Rico for Greenland. But now it's Puerto Ricans who are the ones laughing — and many say they'd be happy with the trade.

Some called themselves the "Caribbean Vikings" and others shared all the benefits they would have if they stopped being a U.S. territory and became an autonomous Danish territory.

Problem - Denmark - Gabriel - René - Ad

"I don't know about you, but I have no problem with being sold to Denmark," Gabriel René, a digital ad executive, tweeted after The New York Times reported on Trump's remark. A former official told New York Times reporters he heard Trump joke in a meeting last year about trading Puerto Rico for Greenland in order to get rid of the U.S. territory.

On social media, Puerto Ricans took it in stride.

Denmark - Country - Education - World - Man

"Denmark is the country with the best education in the world," a man wrote on Twitter.

"Honestly being part of Denmark may be the best thing to ever happen to us," Dartina Marie Pérez, who lives in Puerto Rico, tweeted.

Podcaster - Nieto - Danish - Starter - Kit

A Puerto Rican podcaster, known as Nieto, shared what some labeled as the Danish "Starter Kit."

"I have been preparing for when Trump exchanges us for Greenland and we are a colony of Denmark," Nieto tweeted in Spanish, sharing photos of "Danish Delights" butter cookies, the TV show "Vikings" and Danish beer bottles.

Marco - Bello - A - Woman - Puerto

© Marco Bello A woman waves a Puerto...
(Excerpt) Read more at: MSN
Wake Up To Breaking News!