Hillsong's Brooke Ligertwood talks influence, building Christ's Kingdom, not one's own

www.christianpost.com | 8/22/2019 | Staff
bab_ohhbab_ohh (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn.christianpost.com/files/original/thumbnail/23/26/232611.png

Facebook Twitter Email Print Menu Comment

Brooke Ligertwood, a songwriter and worship leader at Hillsong Church, isn’t focused on numbers or popularity because that’s not what Jesus was about.

Host - Influencers - Artists - Ligertwood - God

Commenting on how she remains content in her calling amid a host of successful Christian influencers and artists, Ligertwood said, “God didn’t ask me to be anybody else than me.”

While speaking to Free Chapel Youth Pastor Tyshone Roland at the Forward Conference earlier this summer, she pointed to a passage in the Bible where the Pharisees compare the number of people John the Baptist is baptizing to the number of people Jesus is baptizing.

Jesus

When Jesus learned of this, He left.

“Jesus is like ‘peace, I’m out because I’m not about this,’” Ligertwood stated.

Popularity - Influence - Kingdom - Building - People

“It’s not about popularity, it’s not about influence; it’s like what kingdom are you building because if you’re slipping into comparing to all these other people, maybe the kingdom you’re trying to build is yours and not the Kingdom of Christ,” she noted.

“The way of Jesus is a narrow way and the way of Jesus is the way of the cross, which means self-denial.”

Songs - Hillsong - Music - Music - Charts

Songs produced by Hillsong Music regularly top music charts and groups under the music label, including Hillsong Worship and Hillsong United, are among the most popular Christian bands and are touted by celebrities including Selena Gomez and Justin Bieber.

With millions of followers on social media and millions of listens on music streaming apps, Hillsong Music artists have a massive global reach.

David - Ware - Leader - Hillsong - Worship

David Ware, a worship leader in Hillsong Worship, admitted to Roland that there is “a lot of opportunity to compare … even in our little bubble of Hillsong.”

But he chooses not to dwell on that.

Grass - Water - Grass - Water - Grass

“The grass you water is the grass that’ll grow. If you water the grass of comparison, that’s what going to grow in your life,”...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.christianpost.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
"Those who stand for nothing fall for anything." - Alexander Hamilton