Trump on Denmark’s Response to Greenland Idea: ‘All They Had to Do is Say No …’

CNS News | 8/22/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://cdn.cnsnews.com/greenland-iceg_0.jpg

(CNSNews.com) – All Denmark needed to do was say it was not interested in the U.S. idea of buying Greenland, President Trump told reporters on Wednesday.

Describing the idea as “absurd” – as Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen did – was “nasty” and “inappropriate,” he said.

Trump - United - States - America - United

“She’s not talking to me,” Trump added. “She’s talking to the United States of America. You don’t talk to the United States that way – at least under me.”

Frederiksen, commenting on Trump’s abrupt decision to cancel a scheduled visit to Denmark early next month over the Greenland kerfuffle, declined to get into a war of words, expressing the hope relations between the two allies would remain strong.

Visit - Reporters - Opportunity - Denmark - Close

“I had been looking forward to the visit,” she told reporters. “It was an opportunity, I think, to celebrate Denmark’s close relationship to U.S., who remains one of Denmark’s closest allies. I was looking forward to having a dialogue on the many shared interests Denmark has with U.S.”

Frederiksen noted, however, that Greenland’s premier, Kim Kielsen, has made clear that the island was not for sale, adding that she was in complete agreement.

Secretary - State - Mike - Pompeo - Spoke

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo spoke by phone to his Danish counterpart, Foreign Minister Jeppe Kofod, who said on Twitter afterwards he appreciated a “frank, friendly and constructive talk” that affirmed strong bilateral bonds.

Kofod said the two countries were “close friends and allies with long history of active engagement across globe. Agreed to stay in touch on full range of issues of mutual interest.”

State - Department - Spokeswoman - Morgan - Ortagus

State Department spokeswoman Morgan Ortagus said Pompeo during the call had “expressed appreciation for Denmark’s cooperation as one of the United States’ allies and Denmark’s contributions to address shared global security priorities.”

The two had “also discussed strengthening cooperation with the Kingdom of Denmark – including Greenland – in the Arctic,” she said.

Row

The row has turned a...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNS News
Wake Up To Breaking News!