Trump’s Phone Calls With Wayne LaPierre Reveal NRA’s Influence

The Atlantic | 8/20/2019 | Staff
ditranian (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/media/img/mt/2019/08/RTX4YM5E/facebook.jpg?1566335809

At the time, his words seemed to indicate a softening of sorts, as though Trump had completed the transition from wanting to seriously consider universal background checks to being dead set against them. But sources close to this president told me that Trump’s eventual siding with the NRA was never in question. “Trump always knew where he had to end up,” a GOP operative in constant contact with the White House told me.

The gun lobby certainly made sure of it. Over the past two weeks, even after quickly batting down Trump’s Rose Garden fantasy, NRA officials continued to flood the White House and Congress alike with calls. They communicated with White House staffers, if not the president himself, up to several times a day. According to the NRA official, there was even talk of LaPierre joining Trump last week in Bedminster.

NRA - Officials - Efforts - Week - Trump

Three NRA officials told me they’ve focused their efforts in the past week on walking Trump through nearly 40 mass shootings in which the gunmen obtained their...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Atlantic
Wake Up To Breaking News!