Damon Herriman Says Playing Charles Manson in Once Upon a Time and Mindhunter Was a 'Coincidence'

PEOPLE.com | 8/21/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://peopledotcom.files.wordpress.com/2019/08/damon-herriman.jpg?crop=0px,0px,2700px,1417.5px&resize=1200,630

Damon Herriman had fans seeing double this summer.

The Australian actor, 49, played the role of infamous California cult leader Charles Manson in not one but two high-profile projects: director Quentin Tarantino’s big screen drama Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood and the second season of Netflix’s Mindhunter (both out now).

Stunt - Accident

As it turns out, the stunt wasn’t planned — it was all just an accident.

“Bizarrely, it was a coincidence,” Herriman told Vulture. “Two productions happened to have a Charles Manson character in them, and I had an opportunity to audition for both. That’s pretty much it.”

Character - Charles - Manson - People - Height

“If you’re going for a character like Charles Manson, you can only cast people of a certain height, so that narrows the pool because the guy was incredibly short,” Herriman added. “A lot shorter than me, but I’m only 5’7″, so I scraped into the pool.”

Though Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood came out first, hitting theaters last month, Herriman was actually cast in Mindhunter first.

Role - Once

The role in Once Upon a...
(Excerpt) Read more at: PEOPLE.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
I'm not always cranky, sometimes I'm actually running!