From hardwood to homilies: former NBA ref becomes a deacon

The Deacon's Bench | 8/21/2019 | Staff
Mijac (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/56/2019/08/800px-Steve_Javie_cropped-1.jpg

From The Philadelphia Inquirer:

The stirring anthem ended and those in the large Saturday night crowd, some clutching programs, took their seats. Steve Javie, a top-tier NBA referee for 25 seasons, moved into position and got ready once again to interpret the rules.

Mass - St - Andrew - Roman - Catholic

But this was Mass at St. Andrew’s Roman Catholic Church in Newtown (Bucks County), not a basketball arena. Javie was wearing a green chasuble and white cassock, not the NBA’s two-tone officiating uniform. And the rules he was about to address in one of his first homilies as a permanent deacon in the Catholic church were eternal, not subject to collective bargaining.

“People ask me if there are similarities between being a deacon and a referee,” Javie said before that recent 5 p.m. Mass. “It’s funny because people used to think they could tell me how to do my old job. That hasn’t changed, except now people are telling me how to preach.”

Montgomery - County - Native - Temple - Briefly

A Montgomery County native who pitched at Temple and briefly in the Baltimore Orioles organization, Javie was destined to...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Deacon's Bench
Wake Up To Breaking News!