Bob the Journalist has the scoop: 'VeggieTales' is coming back (for those wondering, it did leave)

GetReligion | 8/20/2019 | Bobby Ross Jr.
chicana948 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://static1.squarespace.com/static/52c2df7ae4b0d215dded86fd/536fab69e4b00b0fd2515399/5d5d3d348f4df900016345ca/1566404574947/Screen+Shot+2019-08-21+at+7.50.24+AM.png?format=1500w

“Are you watching VeggieTales?” asked my wife, sounding surprised as cartoon vegetables sang in our living room.

“I’m watching the trailer,” I said. “It’s coming back.”

“Did it ever leave?” she replied.

For those wondering — including parents such as my wife and me whose now-grown children were raised on Bob the Tomato, Larry the Cucumber and friends — actually it did leave.

Bob - Journalist - Tomato - Intriguing - Story

Bob (the journalist, not the tomato) has the intriguing, behind-the-scenes story for Religion News Service.

Before I get much deeper into this post, I should point out that I have a history with this story. Back in 2002, while serving as religion editor for The Oklahoman, I interviewed Mike Nawrocki, the squeaky voice of Larry the Cucumber and a co-creator of “VeggieTales" and Big Idea Productions.

Questions - Journalist - Time

I asked hard-hitting questions befitting a serious journalist, as I noted at the time:

For example, my first question: "Can you please sing me a Silly Song?"

Requests - Nawrocki

"I'm taking requests," Nawrocki joked.

Wonderful! How about "The Water Buffalo Song," "The Hairbrush Song" and "I Love My Lips?"

Nawrocki - Habits - Vegetable - Fan

I also pried into Nawrocki's eating habits. "I'm a big vegetable fan, as long as they're not talking," he told me.

For my children, who were 8, 5 and 2 at the time, that was the high point of my newspaper career.

VeggieTales - While - RNS - Bob - Smietana

I haven’t thought much about “VeggieTales” in a while. Then I saw RNS editor-in-chief Bob Smietana’s story.

Spoiler alert: Smietana scored interviews with both Bob the Tomato and Larry the Cucumber!

RNS - Lede

RNS’ lede:

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (RNS) – The story of VeggieTales, the beloved Christian cartoon show, can be summed up in a famed line from one of its creators’ comedy paragons, “Monty Python and the Quest for the Holy Grail”:

“I’m not dead yet!”

The iconic Christian children’s program, which has attracted millions of fans with its mix of...
(Excerpt) Read more at: GetReligion
Wake Up To Breaking News!