ASK FATHER: Bring pebbles to church so we can make a new altar

wdtprs.com | 8/21/2019 | View all posts by Fr. John Zuhlsdorf →
Traight (Posted by) Level 3

The other day at lunch with a friend who was driving through the zone, after hearing a few of the things he had lately encountered in the Church I opined that we are moving from our phase of naive ecclesiastical Dadaism – naive because it embraces the modernism which ought to be mocked and shunned – into full blown Theater of the Absurd, sure to be inaugurated with a performance of La Cantatrice Chauve at the Pan-Amazonian Synod.

And then there comes this.

QUAERITUR

QUAERITUR:

Our parish’s altar was damaged when we had ceiling issues and the priest has been asking us to contribute stones to make a design in the new altar table. I thought altars were supposed to be plain, not have designs of a river, made with local pebbles, on the top? Per the bulletin, “We are working on refurbishing our Altar Table from XX. We are using an old base altar from the Church. The new table top is being fashioned from our church’s original foundation beams. Through it, an image of the rivers that run through our parish is being artistically created. We need small stones, pebbles, and rocks from you…from the (Creek names) to place within our “River of Life” in the Lord’s Table. The new Table will be from and of us…from and of our Creator. Please bring your stones to our office. Remember the old altar table top was damaged by the falling ceiling.”

Stones - Office

“Please bring your stones to our office.”

If only our bishops would heed that admonition.

Gee - Smacks - Sentimentality - Everyone - Cadres

Gee, I dunno. This smacks of sentimentality. It’s “nice” to include everyone. I suspect that there may be quite the cadres of EMHCs there, too. But now I am speculating, perhaps unfairly.

The blurb can be read benignly: the table – from us and from our Creator. Christ was “from us...
(Excerpt) Read more at: wdtprs.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God.