Pope Francis: Self-interest and hypocrisy destroy the Church

Catholic News Agency | 8/21/2019 | Staff
bab_ohhbab_ohh (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/images/PopeFrancisGAAUG21.jpg

Vatican City, Aug 21, 2019 / 06:00 am (CNA).- Pope Francis decried hypocrisy and self-interest Wednesday, saying that Christian community should always be characterized by generosity and solidarity.

"A life set only on profiting and taking advantage of situations at the expense of others inevitably causes interior death," Pope Francis said Aug. 21 in Paul VI Hall.

People - Church - Friends - Priests - Bishops

“And how many people say they are close to the Church, friends of priests, bishops, while they are only looking for their own interest. These are the hypocrisies that destroy the Church,” he added in a departure from his prepared remarks.

Pope Francis said he asks the Lord to “pour over us His Spirit of tenderness, which overcomes all hypocrisy and puts into circulation that truth which nourishes Christian solidarity.”

Pope - Solidarity - Expression - Nature - Church

The pope said that solidarity is “the inalienable expression of the nature of the Church,” which he called the “tender mother of all, especially the poorest.”

“Being members of the body of Christ makes believers co-responsible for each other. Being believers in Jesus makes us all co-responsible for each other,” he said.

Christians - Person - Problem - Home - Family

“Among Christians we cannot say: 'Poor person, he has a problem at home, he is going through this family difficulty'. But, I must pray. I carry it with me. I am not be indifferent. This is being a Christian,” Francis explained.

Throughout Pope Francis’ general audience, a young girl who appeared to have a mental disability, danced across the stage clapping her hands in front of the pope in Paul VI Hall.

Girl - Victim - Illness

“We have all seen this beautiful girl - she is beautiful … victim of an illness and does not know what she is doing,” he said.

Pope Francis asked the audience if they had prayed for this young girl and her family. “Whenever we see someone suffering we must pray,” he said.

Pope - Importance - Concrete

The pope stressed the importance of concrete...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Catholic News Agency
Wake Up To Breaking News!
"Those who stand for nothing fall for anything." - Alexander Hamilton
Tagged: