FBI arrests truck driver days before planned mass shooting at Memphis church

Mail Online | 8/20/2019 | Associated Press
marika (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/08/20/17/17491510-0-image-a-4_1566317337968.jpg

A truck driver has been arrested after saying he would commit a mass shooting at a church in Memphis, Tennessee.

Thomas Matthew McVicker, 38, was apprehended in Indianapolis before the plan could be carried out, according to court papers filed Monday.

Case - String - Men - Country - Shootings

It's the most recent case in a string of men being arrested around the country for threatening to carry out shootings.

The Florida man made 'credible threats to conduct a mass shooting and suicide' planned for Thursday, an FBI special agent said in a sworn affidavit.

Affidavit - Motive - Memphis - Church

The affidavit doesn't specify a motive, nor does it identify a specific Memphis church.

Earlier this month, a friend of McVicker in the southern Alabama town of Fairhope told a Florida FBI agent McVicker has been considering 'shooting a church up' or killing people on the street.

'I - Church - Family - Flesh - McVicker

'I was thinking about shooting a church up but I am afraid how it will affect my family in the flesh after I'm gone,' McVicker said in a text to the friend on August 9.

He didn't give a reason for the attack to the friend, but instead said 'spiritual snakes' and 'evil entities entered his body and are torturing him,' the affidavit states.

Telephone - Call - Friend - McVicker - Church

Later, in a telephone call, the friend said McVicker told her the church shooting would happen when he was in Memphis on Thursday and that he 'intended to take his knife and slit the pastor's throat.'

The circumstances of his arrest in Indiana weren't outlined in the affidavit.

Mother - FBI - Ruger - P90 - Handgun

His mother told the FBI he owned a Ruger P90 handgun and sometimes uses cocaine and methamphetamine.

She also said her son is being...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!