French author gives a voice to Lolita in new novel rewriting Nabokov's controversial best-seller  

Mail Online | 8/20/2019 | Claire Toureille For Mailonline
my_new_puppy (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/08/20/17/17492126-0-image-a-21_1566317586654.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2018/09/18/189078512262203808/1024x576_MP4_189078512262203808.mp4

A French author who was sexually abused as a child is publishing a rewritten version of Vladimir Nabokov's Lolita told in her own words.

Christophe Tison, who lives in Paris, said he wanted to give the young girl a voice in his own version of Lolita, titled Le Journal de L (Diary of L) so that she could reclaim her story and defend herself.

Project - Lolita - Book - Parallels - Silence

He decided to embark on the project after noticing that Lolita barely speaks in the book, and drew parallels between her silence and his own, keeping his own childhood abuse secret for years before he finally spoke up.

The original Lolita novel has been controversial ever since it was published in 1955.

Story - Humbert - Humbert - Literature - Professor

It tells the story of Humbert Humbert, a literature professor who abducts and sexually abuses his step-daughter Dolores Haze, who's 12.

Dolores, nicknamed Lolita by her obsessive step-father, hardly speaks in Nabokov's novel, leaving Humbert to frame the story how he chooses.

Humbert - Humbert - Narrator - Actions - Presents

Humbert Humbert is an unreliable narrator who justifies his actions and presents himself as the unwilling victim of a toxic attraction prompted by Lolita's seductive ways.

But in Tison's version, the teenager gives her point of view on her abduction and abuse in the form of a diary.

France - Thursday

It will be published in France on Thursday.

Tison got the idea for the book while revisiting Lolita. In his author's foreword, he wrote: 'I remember thinking "Actually, you never hear Lolita. You only hear her when she's complaining".

'I - Voice - Speak - Lolita - Way

'I had to give her a voice,' he added, 'to make her speak, so that we finally hear Lolita. And what better way [[of doing so] than a diary where she would have been confided herself fully, without shame. Where she would have told the truth.'

'Because after all, Nabokov's novel is presented as Humbert...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!