Living Between Two Trees

Jesus Creed | 8/20/2019 | Staff
Claw987Claw987 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://www.patheos.com/blogs/wp-content/themes/Patheos%20TwentySeventeen/assets/images/default-thumbs/default-img-flower-touch.jpg

Shane J. Wood is professor of New Testament and associate dean at Ozark Christian College. He is also a teaching minister at College Heights Christian Church. A treasure trove of free resources can be found on his website: www.shanejwood.com.

The following interview centers around Shane’s latest book, Between Two Trees.

Interview - David - George - Moore - Dave

This interview was conducted by David George Moore. Some of Dave’s teaching and interview video can be accessed at www.mooreengaging.com.

Moore: You mention that Between Two Trees ended up being quite different than the book you initially intended to write. Why is that?

Wood - Yeah - Introduction - Type - Confession

Wood: Yeah, I mention that in my introduction as a type of confession. I honestly set out to write a book on “How to read the book of Revelation” and instead wrote a book on “How the book of Revelation reads us”—how the word of God enters us and transforms us in an almost reverse hermeneutic of sorts. My writing process had a lot to do with this unexpected turn. I worked hard to write this book with God and not just for Him. So, my writing process began with a Scripture or quote at the top of the document, and then I would prayerfully close my eyes and begin to write whatever the Spirit prompted. After I’d accumulated around 40-60 essays, I entered the editing/discernment phase, where, in reading back through all the essays, I asked, “What is the Lord unearthing? What is He revealing to me and for the church?” After weaving all the essays together, what came out was something quite different than I expected and ultimately more life-enriching than I could’ve planned. It truly was a humbling process. I mean, sure, I wrote the book, but in a way, I felt like I was watching it being written.

Moore: In her wonderful book, The Crucifixion: Understanding the Death...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Jesus Creed
Wake Up To Breaking News!
I'm not always cranky, sometimes I'm actually running!
Tagged: