5 Ways to Teach Kids to Love Church Planting

The Gospel Coalition | 8/20/2019 | Christy Britton
Click For Photo: https://media.thegospelcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/06140616/5-Ways-to-Teach-Your-Kids-to-Love-the-Church.png

My husband and I are raising four boys. One of the things they know, without a shadow of a doubt, is that on Saturdays in the fall we gather with friends to watch the LSU Tigers play football. Our home fills with fans dressed in purple and gold. We visit, eat, and look after the little ones all while rooting for our favorite team.

Cheering for LSU is part of our family culture. We’re proud to be well on our way to raising the next generation of LSU football fans.

Culture - Home - Esteem - Significance

But what else are we raising them to be? What does the culture of our home esteem to be of eternal significance?

My husband and I have been greatly influenced by our local church’s commitment to planting churches—in both the United States and beyond. And we want our family to be about making disciples of all nations, which is accomplished best through the local church. Therefore, we’re raising our boys in a church-planting culture.

Kids - Church - Planters - Church - Family

Our kids are familiar with each of the church planters sent out from our local church. They are like extended family. We pray for and give to them. We talk about the necessity of church planting and challenge our kids to participate in this vital mission when they grow up.

We want our kids to view their participation in church planting as normal.

Kids - Participation - Church - Planting - Church

We want our kids to view their participation in church planting as normal. We don’t want them to grow up thinking about church planters in terms of “us” and “them.” Since we want them to identify with the work and participate in it in various ways, we’re raising them in an environment where church planting is an everyday aspect of a gospel-shaped lifestyle. It’s what “we” do.

How, then, do we normalize church planting for our kids? Consider five suggestions.

(Excerpt) Read more at: The Gospel Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: