Is My Job the Problem? Or Am I Just Discontent?

The Gospel Coalition | 8/20/2019 | Teena Dare
camkizzle (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://media.thegospelcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/13123315/lightstock_510514_medium_tgc-copy.jpg

Should I stay or should I go? How can I discern if I’ve picked a career that doesn’t suit me, or if I’m just generally a discontent person who will never be happy?

I’m writing this to myself as well as you. Today, after the fifth dirty diaper, my mind began to drift to my days of full-time work. The grass is always greener, isn’t it?

Discontentment - Sources - Thing - Opening - Scenes

Discontentment is exhausting and hard to understand. It’s tricky, because it can stem from several different sources and isn’t always a bad thing. The opening scenes of Scripture shed light on questions of contentment and calling that are otherwise enigmatic.

In the beginning, God carefully crafted all of the essential stuff of the Earth, and he called it good. He made us to be like him in the way we care for it, develop it, and enjoy it. He walked with Adam and Eve in the cool of the day, smiling as they discovered beautiful aspects of his world and experimented with its potential. Humanity was never meant to be content to leave the world as is, but to cultivate it according to God’s wisdom and rule.

Instant - Adam - Eve - Rejection - God

Then in an instant, Adam and Eve’s rejection of God’s good authority flipped everything on its head. Instead of walking with God, they hid from him. Instead of serving each other, they shifted blame. Thorns and thistles fenced out the harmony they once enjoyed with the creation, making it painful to pursue. Life now comes through agony and ends in death.

This was the beginning of the distorted discontentment that you and I feel. Brokenness is the only reality we know, but it’s not the way it’s supposed to be.

God - World - Death - Decay - Creator

Thankfully, God wasn’t content to leave his world to death and decay. The Creator of the universe did the unthinkable to rescue his...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Gospel Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!
It had only one fault, it was useless.