3 Lessons I Learned From My Husband About Fatherhood

ChurchLeaders | 8/19/2019 | Staff
MysticHeart (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://churchleaders-eszuskq0bptlfh8awbb.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/8.20.HOME_.CC.LearnedHusbandFatherhhod.jpg

Grim statistics arise when you search anything about “fatherlessness” in the United States. Children without fathers are more likely to live in poverty, face abuse, abuse drugs, drop out of high school, and commit crimes. There’s very little good that comes from a child growing up without a father. But these are the lessons I learned from my husband about fatherhood.

Yet, God can and does redeem even the most wretched situations for good. A recent news story illustrated that redemption perfectly. The headline read: “Man who grew up in foster care adopts three boys.”

Standout - Quote - Fatherhood - Everything - Father

The standout quote was this: “Fatherhood has been everything I imagine it to be because I’m the father I wish I had growing up.”

My mind’s eye immediately tracked to my husband’s face. He grew up fatherless and abused and neglected by his mother, who suffered from substance abuse issues and mental illness. Despite his background and never meeting his father until he was in his mid-20s (a predictable disappointment even then), he is a devoted, loving, and committed father to our two young children. His experience growing up fatherless ultimately secured his loyalty to parenting with excellence.

Endeavor - Assumptions - Statistics - Data - God

I never doubted he would succeed in this endeavor when we married, but societal assumptions and statistics were stacked against him. While it’s important to consider data, we mustn’t let it define outcomes. God’s redemptive power can restore and liberate even the most dire situations, including those where a parent has failed.

Here are three things I’ve learned from my husband about how the fatherless can vindicate fatherhood in their own parenting journeys.

Husband - Fathers - Nurturers

1. I learned from my husband about fathers as nurturers.

My husband has changed just as many diapers as me—and happily devotes his evenings to getting our toddler through a lengthy bedtime routine. The first weeks of our 1-year-old daughter’s life,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ChurchLeaders
Wake Up To Breaking News!