I Slept with My Girlfriend — Now What?

Desiring God | 7/17/2019 | John Piper
j.moomin (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://dg.imgix.net/i-slept-with-my-girlfriend-now-what-wyrh1jld-en/landscape/i-slept-with-my-girlfriend-now-what-wyrh1jld-9fb1bb569a7d57f084c921a38db3285d.jpg?ts=1565386186&ixlib=rails-3.0.2&auto=format,compress&fit=min&w=800&h=450

A friend of the podcast who wishes to remain anonymous writes, “Hello, Pastor John. I’m a listener in the Middle East. I slept with my girlfriend two days ago and now we are both hurt and feeling dirty, cheap, and ashamed. We cannot even look at ourselves. We are both born-again believers in Christ, but we were lured into temptation.

“Is there any hope that we might become pure again and be healed from our sin? I know the blood of Jesus covers every sin, but how can we get our relationship’s purity back again? Or is that permanently gone? What do we do now?”

Man - Middle - East - Place - Something

I think this young man from the Middle East is beginning in the right place. He is, it seems, appropriately shattered, meaning he understands something has been irrevocably lost. He and his girlfriend will never be able to go behind this sexual encounter and undo it. They have lost something very precious.

I begin this way, even though it may sound hard, because I feel a tender and jealous concern for those who are listening who have not lost their virginity. It is a very precious thing for men and women. The world views it as weakness — silly, in fact.

God - Strength - Beauty - Compare - Listeners

God views it as a very great strength and beauty beyond compare. I am just as eager to help listeners maintain their sexual purity and virginity before they lose it as I am to help those who have lost it recover the purity that Christ makes possible. That is why I am beginning the way I am beginning.

I think this young man is beginning in the right place. He is broken. He knows that a beautiful thing has been lost, and he knows that the blood of Jesus covers every sin. This is a good place to begin.

Those...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Desiring God
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: