Animal Kingdom Will Be Just Fine Without Smurf — Plus, Who Will Take Over the Codys' 'Family Business'?

TVLine | 8/18/2019 | Charlie Mason
Click For Photo: https://pmctvline2.files.wordpress.com/2019/08/animal-kingdom-codys.jpg?w=620

Since Animal Kingdom killed off Ellen Barkin’s Smurf in its penultimate Season 4 episode, a lot of disgruntled fans have predicted that that’s it, the show is as good as done. And I’ll admit that I wasn’t thrilled, either, to see the Cody family’s manipulative matriarch put down; I can’t think of another villainess cut from the same leopard-print cloth. But her demise is hardly a death knell for the series.

In fact, if anything, the daring move suggests that the TNT drama will only become more compelling in Season 5. “You have to idea what I’m capable of,” I could just imagine the show hissing at us. (Even Smurf would have to appreciate a threat of that magnitude.) And Animal Kingdom is not only known, it’s loved for its willingness to take big swings — from Pope’s Season 1 murder of Catherine to Smurf’s Season 2 assassination of Baz to the fact that young J, once our sympathetic root-for, has now committed two cold-blooded murders and fired the shot that ended Smurf’s life.

Barkin - Smurf - Course - Baby

So am I bummed that we’ve seen the last of Barkin as Smurf? Of course I am, baby. But I’m also curious...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TVLine
Wake Up To Breaking News!