Danny McBride & Cassidy Freeman on ‘The Righteous Gemstones’ and the ‘Halloween’ Sequels

Collider | 8/18/2019 | Christina Radish
boti (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/the-righteous-gemstones-danny-mcbride-cassidy-freeman-600x398.jpg

From creator/executive producer/writer/director Danny McBride, executive producer/director Jody Hill and executive producer/director David Gordon Green, the HBO comedy series The Righteous Gemstones tells the story of a world-famous televangelist family that has as much of a tradition with greed and deviance as they do with charitable work. And with blackmailers seeking to sully the reputation of eldest son Jesse Gemstone (McBride), patriarch Eli’s (John Goodman) plans to expand the family’s empire could be in jeopardy.

While at the HBO portion of the Television Critics Association Press Tour, Collider got the opportunity to sit down with Danny McBride and co-star Cassidy Freeman (who plays Jesse’s ambitious wife, Amber), who talked about putting together such a great cast, the warm and inviting atmosphere that allowed for creative freedom, what it means to be a Gemstone, either by blood or by marriage, the challenges of shooting the big baptism scene, and finding the show’s tricky tone. McBride also talked about being a part of the creative team behind the new Halloween films, how there was always a plan to expand the story beyond one film, and why he thinks the legend of Michael Myers will continue, once they’ve finished telling their story.

Collider - First - Baby - Billy - Freeman

Collider: First of all, Baby Billy Freeman is an insane character. How on earth did you think of Walton Goggins for that character? When you see that character, you don’t exactly immediately think of him?

DANNY McBRIDE: Yeah, that was the idea behind it, I guess. I love Walton. I think he’s one of the best people I know, and he’s such a talented actor, so I really wanted to kind of create something for him here that was just completely different than Lee Russell and have him go in a completely different direction. Him, as an old man, was just making me laugh....
(Excerpt) Read more at: Collider
Wake Up To Breaking News!