“My sons playing mass ‘against pagans’.

wdtprs.com | 8/18/2019 | View all posts by Fr. John Zuhlsdorf →
dewbydewby (Posted by) Level 4

Children at Mass. Ah… children at Mass. They are simultaneously the great consolation of priests and, hopefully, the seniors of a congregation, as they can also be the woe.

Look at the average age of people at some suburban parishes, or at that church in Portland. Then look at the average age of people at the TLM. If, at the later, certain pews turn into universally distracting three ring circuses, at the former the quiet foreshadows the day when the last parishioner might remember to throw the main power switch and lock the door before ambling off behind a walker.

Morning - Circus - Mass - Boy - Luke

After this morning’s circus punctuated Mass, I was enthusiastically greeted by the boy “Luke” who, a few weeks back, I described as having solemnly demonstrated how to use a thurible, substituted by his pair of blue plastic binoculars on their strap. Today he ran at me quite unliturgically with a handful of cupcake. He is, after all, still three.

This is all a preface to a photo that encapsulates something of an aging priest’s hope for the future. From a reader who explains:

Sons - Mass - Pagans

My sons playing mass “against pagans”.

How it doth warm the cockles of my beady-black heart.

Expression - Incensation - Someone - PJs

I appreciate the serious expression as he receives the incensation from someone in PJs.

My lumberyard memory has produced a connection with an image from the superb Life of Little Saint...
(Excerpt) Read more at: wdtprs.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
The only change you ever get from the goverment is what's in your pocket, and worth less every day.