Prof Fired by Johns Hopkins for Standing up to Protesters Turns Down Facebook Job

Le·gal In·sur·rec·tion | 8/18/2019 | Mike LaChance
mel4 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://legalinsurrection.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/facebook.png

The saga of former Johns Hopkins professor Daniel Povey is a fascinating glimpse into the world of campus protest culture and what can happen to those who stand up to it.

We first noted this story in a recent quick take, but it’s a much bigger story now.

Article - Washington - Free - Beacon

I covered much of this in an article I wrote for the Washington Free Beacon:

Johns Hopkins University has fired Daniel Povey, an associate professor of speech and language processing, who used bolt cutters to gain entry to an administration building on campus that was taken over by student protesters who had chained the doors shut.

Person - Charge - Servers - Basement - Building

“I was the main person in charge of managing the servers in the basement of that building, which are used by me and a large group of researchers in CLSP [Center for Language and Speech Processing],” Povey told the Washington Free Beacon.

Povey was fired by Johns Hopkins on August 8, following an investigation. A letter from Andrew S. Douglas, vice dean for faculty, cites complaints that Povey’s conduct “was motivated by racially discriminatory animus and created a hostile environment.” A few paragraphs later, it states in bold letters: “We are hereby terminating your appointment with the university.”

Read - Povey - Account - Johns - Hopkins

Read Povey’s full account of what happened at Johns Hopkins.

This story seemed to be over when Povey supposedly accepted a job working in the field of speech recognition for Facebook in their Seattle offices.

CNBC - Week

CNBC reported last week:

Facebook confirmed on Monday that it has hired a speech recognition researcher who...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Le·gal In·sur·rec·tion
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Keep the change!