How to Preach in the Power of the Spirit

Desiring God | 7/17/2019 | John Piper
cobra662 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://dg.imgix.net/why-preaching-is-impossible-rmjiz45w-en/landscape/why-preaching-is-impossible-rmjiz45w-d0b5f9d8df3b68af29862e4d2451d614.jpg?ts=1562348004&ixlib=rails-3.0.2&auto=format,compress&fit=min&w=800&h=450

Subscribe to the John Piper Sermons Podcast, available in iTunes, YouTube, RSS, and more.

The following is a lightly edited transcript.

Preaching - Mind - Bible - Act - Preaching

I’m going to talk about preaching. In my mind, and as I see it in the Bible, the act of preaching and the aim of preaching are humanly impossible. They are only possible in the power of the Holy Spirit. So, this message is about how you preach in the power that is not your own, which is a very strange thing if you stop and think about it.

What I am doing right now, the Bible calls me to do in such a way that it is not I, but he who does it. So how do you do that? What did I do to get ready for this? What should I be doing in my head or heart right now so that that happens? That’s what I’m going to talk about.

Question - Things - Preacher - Knowledge - Feelings

I’m going to start with what I’m not going to be doing. My question is not, What are the natural things that you can do or I could do as a preacher to increase natural knowledge and natural feelings? That’s not my goal. And the reason is this:

So, I’m not interested in merely doing natural things to increase natural knowledge, with natural feelings. I’m just not interested in that. You can certainly do amazing things with rhetoric. Just think of the power of human oratory in figures like Winston Churchill or John F. Kennedy. Think of what can be done simply with the mouth for a nation or for a people.

Church - Holy - Spirit - So - Oratory

You can grow a big church without the Holy Spirit. So, I’m just not interested in helping you do that. I’m not interested in creating remarkable oratory. Even though it can achieve things that will make you a lot of...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Desiring God
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: