This Week In Trailers: Frankie, Midnight Traveler, Shut Up and Play the Piano, So Long, My Son, Chained for Life

/Film | 8/17/2019 | Christopher Stipp
Click For Photo: https://d13ezvd6yrslxm.cloudfront.net/wp/wp-content/images/trailer-greenband-newest.jpg

Trailers are an under-appreciated art form insofar that many times they’re seen as vehicles for showing footage, explaining films away, or showing their hand about what moviegoers can expect. Foreign, domestic, independent, big budget: What better way to hone your skills as a thoughtful moviegoer than by deconstructing these little pieces of advertising?

This week, we acquaint ourselves to a musician dancing to the beat of different pianist, deal with family drama, bend reality a smidge, try to escape the Taliban, and go on a bougie holiday.

Director - Wang - Xiaoshuai - Trailer

I was not expecting director Wang Xiaoshuai to make me feel so deeply by just watching his trailer, but here we are.

Two married couples adjust to the vast social and economic changes taking place in China from the 1980s to the present.

Moment - Moment - Words - Images - Volumes

I’m floored by how quietly we move from moment to moment. Few words are spoken. The images speak volumes about the mood and add texture to this family we’re following and the heaviness of the burden that is being carried by everyone. This seems and feels like one of those little gems that rewards those who find it. It’s rarer indeed when it’s one of those films you could watch right then and there if only to see if your hunch is true.

There is something that defies words with director Aaron Schimberg’s exploration of the strange.

Building - Promise - Hallucinogenic - Debut - Go

Building on the promise of his hallucinogenic debut Go Down Death, filmmaker Aaron Schimberg delivers another brilliantly oddball, acerbically funny foray into gonzo surrealism. In a deft tragicomic performance, Jess Weixler (Teeth) plays Mabel, a movie star “slumming it” in an outré art-horror film being shot in a semi-abandoned hospital. Cast opposite her is Rosenthal (Under the Skin’s Adam Pearson), a gentle-natured young man with a severe facial deformity. As their relationship evolves both on and offscreen, Schimberg raises...
(Excerpt) Read more at: /Film
Wake Up To Breaking News!