ASK FATHER: @BishopBarron on the Pew Research and lack of belief in the Eucharist. Fr. Z rants a little and issues an invitation.

wdtprs.com | 8/16/2019 | View all posts by Fr. John Zuhlsdorf →

QUAERITUR:

Bishop Barron has a video reacting to the Pew Research saying that 75% of Catholics think the Blessed Sacrament is just a symbol. He talks about the failure of catechetics and educators and that social justice was made more important than sound teaching.

What say you?

Here’s the video in question:

Bishop - Barron - Pew - Research - Catholics

Bishop Barron indeed reacted to the recent Pew Research about Catholics and their belief in the Church’s teachings about the Eucharist. He is clearly frustrated. Anyone with any commonsense and sliver of love left for the Church would be beside himself at the news that 75% think that the Eucharist is just a symbol (younger Catholics … drop that to 80%). It’s only a symbol.

Barron quotes Flannery O’Connor’s famous quip and quite properly. “If it’s only a symbol, to **** with it.” Exactly right. The Eucharist is the – here comes the non-cliché which must never be allowed to be used as a cliché – “source and summit” of our lives as Catholic Christians.

Barron - % - Something - Failure

Barron admits that, if 75% don’t believe then something has gone seriously wrong. It represents a “massive failure” for which “we are all guilty”.

Sorry, but I’M NOT! I’ve been flogging myself for decades to be clear as crystal about the Eucharist and I’ve been beaten to a pulp for my efforts. As I recounted elsewhere, I was thrown out of seminary (the first time) because of a dispute over the Eucharist. But, as a former Lutheran, I can “do no other”. As a convert, I made radical choices knowing what I was leaving and knowing what I was embracing. As a matter of fact, I did my profession of Faith, from the traditional Ritual, publicly during Sunday Vespers kneeling in front of the Blessed Sacrament exposed on the altar. Enough about me.

Barron

It could be that Barron’s “we” meant “we...
(Excerpt) Read more at: wdtprs.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!