ASK FATHER: Why didn’t Benedict XVI say the #TLM? How can we get one? What does the future look like?

wdtprs.com | 8/16/2019 | View all posts by Fr. John Zuhlsdorf →
kringkring (Posted by) Level 4

QUAERITUR:

Thank you for your blog. I get so much from it! Never stop!

Question - Time

I know you like one question at a time, but maybe you’ll do this.

[1] Why do you think Benedict XVI never said the Extraordinary Form while we was Pope?

People - Mass - Parishes

[2] What should lay people do to get the old Mass in their parishes?

[3] How do you see the future of the Extraordinary Form?

Thanks - Answers

Thanks for answers to one or all!

Thanks for that. No link to that podcast, so I am a bit hobbled. However, I can’t imagine that they said anything strange. These are smart guys.

Benedict - XVI - Form

1) Why didn’t Benedict XVI never say the Extraordinary Form?

He certainly did not, as Pope, celebrate the Extraordinary Form in public. However, I suspect he could have privately now and then. I say that because, once in while, during Masses I thought I spotted him doing some things that I must be very careful about when I say the Novus Ordo. I don’t say the Novus Ordo very often, and I get into “autopilot”, for example, automatically genuflecting at certain points, automatically tucking the paten, etc. But, that’s not really the question.

Reasons - Benedict - Form - Arguments

I think there were two reasons why Benedict didn’t publicly say the Extraordinary Form. I am convinced that he would have liked to, so there must have been compelling arguments against.

One argument is that to mount a Papal Mass, not just a Pontifical Mass would have been extremely difficult. It was already difficult at the time of John XXIII (who was reviving liturgical uses) and Paul VI (who abolished it all). I used to argue on this blog that Benedict could celebrate not a Papal Mass but at least a Pontifical Mass. I haven’t entirely abandoned that, but it would be seriously deficient. The Pope must be the Pope and must not be just...
(Excerpt) Read more at: wdtprs.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
If the Government could just stop...