Mother, 53, loses seven toes and has parts of her feet amputated after they turned black from sepsis

Mail Online | 8/16/2019 | Stephen Matthews Health Editor For Mailonline
TwiztedGurl (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/08/16/10/17351780-0-image-a-2_1565948742809.jpg

A mother who dismissed her aches and shivering as being down to the flu needed parts of her feet amputated after battling sepsis.

Ruth Kent, 53, from Northampton, felt 'lousy' for two days last November - but she assumed it was because of the common winter illness.

Support - Worker - Care - Sepsis - Response

However, the support worker ended up being rushed to intensive care with sepsis - a deadly immune response to an infection.

Doctors found that the meningococcal meningitis bacteria had triggered the sepsis, causing her hands, feet and face to allegedly turn black. At one point, Ms Kent says nurses were 'scraping' black tissue from her nose and feet.

Family - Fears - Ms - Kent - Killer

Her family were told to 'prepare themselves' for the worst, amid fears Ms Kent would succumb to the killer reaction.

But miraculously she pulled through after two months in hospital, despite needing seven toes amputated, as well as parts of her sides and soles of her feet, after they rotted away.

Ms - Kent - Wheelchair - Battle - Son

Ms Kent, who is now reliant on a wheelchair after her near-death battle, has praised her 27-year-old son Mickey for saving her life. She has not yet been given a time-line for when she can get prosthetic replacements.

He called an ambulance after he noticed she had lost controls of her bowels during a nap on the sofa, which is when she was rushed to hospital.

Dogs - Cycle

She said: 'Before that I was perfectly healthy. I was quite active because I have three dogs that I walk everyday and I cycle to work.

'I deteriorated very, very quickly. It was really scary. My son saved my life that day. If he hadn't have been there, I would have been a goner.

Inclination - Sepsis - Doctors

'I had no inclination that it was sepsis. If I'd have known more I might have gone to the doctors earlier.

'It was just normal cold symptoms at the beginning,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
An enemy of death and destruction