4 reasons my freelance career is more secure than your full-time job

Business Insider | 8/15/2019 | Holly Johnson
Click For Photo: https://amp.businessinsider.com/images/5d55c625cd978452b67ac516-2732-1366.jpg

According to a recent survey, about 83% of self-employed people say they made the choice to ditch their full-time jobs to work for themselves, and 70% have better work-life balance in self-employment.

Those stats may surprise some, but not me — I went full-time freelance five years ago, and I've never looked back. I make five times more now than I did in my old full-time job, and I feel more secure than ever.

Number - Companies - Broke - Money - Time

Since I work for a number of companies, I won't be flat broke if one of them decides to let me go. Plus, I decide how much I work, so I can make more money when I need to and take time off when I need it.

Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.

Weeks - Report - FreshBooks - Tracks

A few weeks ago, I read a report from FreshBooks that stopped me in my tracks.

First of all, according to the accounting-software company's 2019 Self-Employment in America Report, 70% of the 3,700 respondents to the study found they had better work-life balance in self-employment than when they worked in full-time jobs.

% - Choice - Jobs

Plus, 83% of those surveyed said they made the choice to work for themselves (meaning they weren't forced into freelancing because they lost their jobs or couldn't get hired).

The final stat that caught me was the fact that 55% of respondents found themselves earning more money in self-employment than in full-time work, which isn't necessarily expected when you ditch your regular job.

Stats - Study - Point - Responses

There are plenty more interesting stats from this study, but the point is, the responses from those who contributed are mostly positive.

But of course that doesn't surprise me. I'm self-employed — by choice.

Job - Industry - Full-time - Circle - Idea

When I left my job in the funeral industry to write full-time in 2013, most of my circle thought it was a horrendous idea. My old career wasn't perfect, but it came with...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Business Insider
Wake Up To Breaking News!