Riot Police Intervene After Protesters Bring Hong Kong Airport to a Standstill

www.globalsecurity.org | 8/14/2019 | Staff
cobra662 (Posted by) Level 3
Riot police stormed the Hong Kong International Airport on Tuesday, clashing with protesters after several thousand people occupied the facility and caused the mass cancellation of flights for the second day in a row, amid growing public anger over police violence and government plans to allow extradition to mainland China.

Reuters news agency reported that scuffles broke out after an injured person was taken out of the main terminal by medics after he was held by a group of protesters, some of whom claimed he was an undercover mainland Chinese police officer.

Riot - Police - Protesters - Pepper - Spray

Riot police who moved pushed some protesters back and applied pepper spray, while at least two protesters were taken away by police, the agency said.

A situation that looked poised to erupt into serious violence calmed down after a few hours without a more forceful police intervention, Reuters added.

Flights - Briefly - Tuesday - Morning - Monday

While flights returned to normal briefly on Tuesday morning following Monday's shutdown, the passenger terminal at Chek Lap Kok was shut down by the sheer size of the crowds by the afternoon, with protesters making temporary barricades out of luggage carts.

Chanting "Meet the five demands!" and "An eye for an eye!" after a protester underwent emergency surgery after being shot in the eye by a "non-lethal" police projectile believed to be a bean bag round.

Hong - Kong - Space - Months - Protester

"I was born and educated in Hong Kong, and I never once imagined that it could turn into this in the space of two months," one protester told RFA. "[A place where] police would fire tear gas in an enclosed space, fire bullets."

"As for our shameless government, I don't think we will necessarily be able to change anything, but it's better than cowering at home."

Crowd - Operations - Passengers - Annoyance - Disruption

The crowd quickly brought normal operations to a standstill, with some passengers expressing annoyance at the disruption, and others saying they supported the anti-extradition movement...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.globalsecurity.org
Wake Up To Breaking News!