Republican Steve King: if not for incest and rape 'would there be any population left?'

the Guardian | 3/12/2017 | Tom McCarthy
moni (Posted by) Level 3

Republican congressman Steve King has tried to defend a proposal for absolutist abortion restrictions on Wednesday by saying that without rape and incest the human race might long since have disappeared.

Fury as Trump official says poem on Statue of Liberty refers to 'people from Europe'

Family - Trees - Anyone - Product - Rape

“What if we went back through all the family trees and just pulled out anyone who was a product of rape or incest?” King told a breakfast meeting in Urbandale, Iowa. “Would there be any population of the world left if we did that? Considering all the wars and all the rapes and pillages that happened throughout all these different nations, I know that I can’t say that I was not a part of a product of that.”

King, who has been praised by Donald Trump as possibly “the world’s most conservative human being”, has sponsored a bill to ban abortion including in cases of rape and incest. Republican leaders, who earlier this year stripped King of his committee assignments after the congressman defended white supremacists, have mothballed the bill.

Republicans - Iowa - King - Congress - Year

But Republicans in Iowa could send King back to Congress next year. Though he has lost his party’s support and is losing the fundraising race against a primary opponent, King, a nine-term congressman from Iowa’s fourth district, remains popular at home and is seen as tough to beat.

It was on the campaign trail in Iowa that King stepped into his latest controversy. In remarks first reported by the Des Moines Register, King told the breakfast crowd on Wednesday that abortion should not be allowed in any case.

Baby - Fault - Sin - Father - Mother

“It’s not the baby’s fault for the sin of the father, or of the mother,” King said.

The comments drew widespread condemnation, including from the Democratic presidential field. Senators Kirsten Gillibrand and Cory Booker called for King’s resignation. Pete Buttigieg said: “You would...
(Excerpt) Read more at: the Guardian
Wake Up To Breaking News!