Click For Photo: https://static.businessinsider.com/image/5d533837f4fc2468111c39c6-750.jpg
A woman from Texas took her dog swimming in a river by her house earlier this month.
It's there that Tamra Massey believes her dog, Fina, ate toxic blue-green algae, she wrote on Facebook. She said that shortly thereafter her dog died.
KENS5 - Massey - Incident - Place - Hour
According to KENS5, Massey said the whole incident took place in less than an hour.
Now, Massey is speaking out on social media to warn other dog owners about the dangers of blue-green algae.
Visit - INSIDER - Homepage - Stories
Visit INSIDER's homepage for more stories.
Another woman is sharing that her beloved dog died after being exposed to toxic blue-green algae.
Thursday - Tamra - Massey - Boerne - Texas
On Thursday, Tamra Massey of Boerne, Texas, wrote on Facebook that her dog, Fina, a toy Australian Shepherd, died on July 31, after ingesting some of the algae. Massey wrote that she took her dog to swim in a river by her home. She said that the water "was not infested' with the algae, nor did it look stagnant ... There were simply a few pieces of the algae floating around."
Massey told KENS5 that she could tell something wasn't right, so she took her dog out of the water. And within an hour, Fina fell ill and died.
Massey - Minutes - Water - Signs - Minutes
"It was so fast," Massey said. "Fifteen minutes she was out of the water, and that's when we noticed the first signs, probably 25 minutes total until we got to the vet, and she was all but gone then."
According to the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services, blue-green algae blooms, or cyanobacteria, occur naturally in lakes, ponds, and canals. These blooms can be harmful to both animals and people. In her Facebook post, for example, Massey noted that she got a rash on her arm where she carried...
Wake Up To Breaking News!