Boss of YouTube reveals she takes away her children's mobiles so they have to talk to real people

Mail Online | 8/10/2019 | Peter Henn For The Mail On Sunday
Fubu_chik (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/08/10/20/17136304-0-image-a-3_1565466888167.jpg

The boss of YouTube has revealed that she takes away her children's mobile phones – to help them 'be present'.

Susan Wojcicki, chief executive of the video-sharing site, said it was important for her five children to learn that there were times when having a conversation with real people took priority over surfing the internet.

'I - Times - Kids - Phones - Family

'I have times when I take away all my kids' phones, especially if we're on a family vacation, because I want people to interact with each other,' she said.

'So I take away their phones and say, 'We're going to focus on being present today.'

People - Time - Conversation - Videos - Activities

'It comes back to balance – people need to learn when it is a time to be focused on the conversation, and when it is OK to go and watch videos and do other activities on the internet.'

Ms Wojcicki said balance was important to her and her family.

Guardian - Kids - Technology - Just - Kids

She told The Guardian: 'What is important to me is that kids learn how to manage technology responsibly. Just like you talk to your kids about what you do when you go out on the street, you need to have a conversation with them about safety on the internet, and also find a way to manage screen time and balance that with other activities.'

The 51-year-old revealed that she wanted to let her children work out their own 'self-control methods' regarding online time.

'TV - TV

'TV was the same when I was growing up,' she said. 'I was taught that, sure, some TV is enjoyable, but it...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!