Week in Review: Netflix’s big problem and Apple’s thinnest product yet

TechCrunch | 8/11/2019 | Staff
kshama-s (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://techcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/SWGE_ROTR_AT_AT.jpg?w=599

Hey. This is Week-in-Review, where I give a heavy amount of analysis and/or rambling thoughts on one story while scouring the rest of the hundreds of stories that emerged on TechCrunch this week to surface my favorites for your reading pleasure.

Last week, I talked about the Capital One breach and how Equifax taught us that irresponsible actions only affect companies in the PR department.

Disney - Netflix - Lunch

Disney is going to eat Netflix’s lunch.

The content giant announced this week that when Disney+ launches, it will be shipping a $12.99 bundle that brings its Disney+ streaming service, ESPN+ and ad-supported Hulu together into a single-pay package. That price brings those three services together for the same cost as Netflix and is $5 cheaper that what you would spend on each of the services individually.

Announcement - Disney - Netflix - Earnings - Subscriber

This announcement from Disney comes after Netflix stuttered in its most recent earnings, missing big on its subscriber add while actually losing subscribers in the U.S.

Netflix isn’t the aggregator it once was; its library is consistently shifting, with original series taking the dominant position. As much as Netflix is spending on content, there’s simply no way that it can operate on the same plane as Disney, which has been making massive content buys and is circling around to snap up the market by acquiring its way into consumers’ homes.

Disney - Control - Hulu - Stakeholders - Platform

Disney has slowly amassed control of Hulu through buying out various stakeholders, but now that it shifts the platform’s weight, it’s pretty clear that it will use it as a selling point for its time-honed in-house content, which it is still expanding.

The streaming wars have been raging for years, but as the services seem to become more like what they’ve replaced, Disney seems poised to take control.

Rest - Week - News

On to the rest of the week’s news.

Here are a few big news items from big companies, with...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TechCrunch
Wake Up To Breaking News!