Casey Affleck and Anna Pniowsky on ‘Light of My Life’ & the Film’s Original 3-Hour Cut

Collider | 8/9/2019 | Christina Radish
Click For Photo: http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/light-of-my-life-casey-affleck-anna-pniowsky-02-600x437.jpg

From writer/director/producer Casey Affleck, the indie feature Light of My Life, which is part survivalist drama and part coming-of-age story, follows a father (Affleck) and his 11-year-old daughter (Anna Pniowsky), as they navigate a desperate dystopian world where a plague has killed nearly all of the world’s females. As they live on rations and forage in the woods, far from the danger that men can present when it comes to survival, Rag’s dad tries to give his daughter an understanding of the world and its ethics, history and morality, at a time when cruelty is much more likely for her to experience than kindness.

At the film’s Los Angeles press day, Collider got the opportunity to sit down for a 30-minute interview with Casey Affleck and his young co-star Anna Pniowsky, who’s remarkable in her performance, to talk about how the story evolved, whether there was ever the temptation to show more about what led to this dystopian world, what he learned from his previous directing projects (this is his first full-length narrative feature), the benefit of having your co-star also be the writer/director of the project, the directors that he’s watched and worked with that helped his on his path to trying his own hand at it, the casting process for Rag, the editing process and what it took to cut the film down from its three-hour first cut, and who he screened the film for. Affleck also talked about figuring out what he’s going to direct next and how he’d like to take on a big fantasy film, and Pniowsky talked about her desire to turn acting into a future career.

Interview - Clip - Light - My - Life

Finally, before getting to the interview, here’s an exclusive clip from Light of My Life:

Collider: You wrote and directed this, and you’ve been working on it for a long...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Collider
Wake Up To Breaking News!