GOP lawmaker's town hall erupts in shouting over mass shootings, Trump

TheHill | 8/8/2019 | Owen Daugherty
Click For Photo: https://thehill.com/sites/default/files/stewartchris_061519getty.jpg

Rep. Chris Stewart’s (R-Utah) town hall event reportedly erupted in shouting Wednesday as the lawmaker addressed constituents about the recent mass shootings.

Attendees of the event in North Salt Lake broke into yelling after Stewart’s first question focused on how the government could keep residents safe following the outbreak of gun violence, according to The Salt Lake Tribune.

Event - Stewart - Attendees - Line

The event reportedly became so contentious that Stewart told attendees he would walk out unless it became more civil, which brought it back in line.

Stewart fielded one question and answered that everyone should condemn violence and racism, to which attendee Jamie Carter responded, “then why did you vote no to condemn racism?”

Carter - Resolution - House - Month - President

Carter was referring to a resolution the House passed last month condemning President Trump’s attacks on four minority congresswomen, which Stewart voted against.

“By your question, you’re implying I’m a racist,” Stewart said, drawing the ire from many who disagreed. “Why would I support a racist if I wasn’t?”

He followed that up by asking “could we all...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TheHill
Wake Up To Breaking News!