Meacham on MSNBC: Trump’s Post-Shooting Address Like ‘Hostage Video’

NewsBusters | 8/8/2019 | Staff
camkizzle (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn.newsbusters.org/images/2019-08-08-msnbc-meacham.png

In the midst of President Trump visiting with victims of the mass shootings in Dayton and El Paso on Wednesday, on MSNBC, presidential historian and regular liberal pundit Jon Meacham bemoaned Trump’s response to the attacks and even derided his Monday White House address denouncing them as a “hostage video.”

“I was shocked, honestly, watching the speech the other morning....People made this comment, but it did feel like a hostage video, as if the establishment had come in and said, ‘You have to be a human being here, so get through this as quickly as possible,’” Meacham ranted to anchor Craig Melvin late in the 11:00 a.m. ET hour.

Exchange - Melvin - President - Obama - Response

The exchange began with Melvin lamenting: “When you compare President Obama’s response to these horrible acts of violence, whether Charleston, whether in Sandy Hook, and then you compare this President’s response, Jon, is that this current president is incapable of it, or is it that he’s unwilling to do it?”

The host asked an identical question to Democratic Ohio Congressman and 2020 presidential candidate Tim Ryan earlier in the hour.

Meacham - So - Capability - Question - Interest

Meacham replied: “I don’t know, but he’s self-evidently not willing to do it. So capability becomes a second question. He just – it doesn’t interest him, I suppose.” He went on to complain: “And we’re just in – we’re on two different planets with Obama and Trump.”

Earlier in the discussion, Meacham hoped Democratic 2020 contenders would be “filling that vacuum” left by Trump:

Donald - Trump - Morning - Congressman - O'Rourke

I think you saw the real Donald Trump in what he tweeted this morning, attacking Congressman O’Rourke. Where we are right now is we have a president who has abdicated the genuine efficacy of the role of what Franklin Roosevelt called the presidency as a place preeminently of moral leadership. And I think what you’re seeing today, which is fascinating, is both Senator...
(Excerpt) Read more at: NewsBusters
Wake Up To Breaking News!
It had only one fault, it was useless.