Oprah Winfrey Recalls the First Time Toni Morrison Was a Guest on Her Show

Variety | 8/7/2019 | Ashley Hume

“The very first time I had her on the ‘Oprah’ show, she said to me, ‘I’ve always known I was gallant.’ I was like, ‘Who the **** knows they’re gallant?'” Oprah Winfrey told reporters of her late friend and creative collaborator Toni Morrison on Tuesday night at the premiere of OWN’s original series “David Makes Man” in Los Angeles. “Her sense of confidence and self-assurance and nobility is what impressed me the most.”

A day after the death of the groundbreaking Nobel Prize-winning author, Winfrey reminisced about Morrison’s first appearance on “The Oprah Winfrey Show” and the power of her words. “She said, ‘what I realize is that what every child really wants is to know, do your eyes light up when I enter the room?’ ”

Winfrey - Variety - Plans - Morrison - Words

Winfrey, who told Variety that she had yet to be informed of memorial plans for Morrison, continued, “Those words, I think, resonated. I could see it resonated with every woman, everyone just did a collective ‘Ahh, yes,’ and thought about when children show up in the room. It’s not just about your children, it’s your children, your grandchildren, your lover, your husband, anybody who you care about. That’s all they are looking to see. Do your eyes light up when I enter the room? So that’s the great memory and gift that I think that she gave to me and to the audience. I think people will read her books, they will feel whatever they feel, they will experience literature at its finest, but do your eyes light up when I enter the room?”

Oprah Winfrey Reflects on Toni Morrison's Legacy: 'There Is No Greater Writer'

Screenwriter - Moonlight - David - Makes - Man

Oscar-winning screenwriter of “Moonlight” and “David Makes Man” creator Tarell Alvin McCraney also paid tribute to Morrison. “I stand on her legacy,” McCraney told Variety. “The foundation that she laid as...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!