7 TIPS TO ELIMINATE BORING FROM YOUR SERMONS (AND AVOID WRITER’S BLOCK)

CareyNieuwhof.com | 8/18/2016 | Staff
tiazanne (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://careynieuwhof.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/shutterstock_524947354-1024x683.jpg

Ever write a message or talk that even you suspected was boring?

That’s exactly where I found myself a while back.

Message - Series - Weeks - Days - Delivery

I’d outlined my message for our current series weeks ago, but when I went back into it 6 days before delivery, I realized I’d written a basically boring sermon on a fundamentally exciting subject.

What’s worse, it moved me into one of the worst cases of writer’s block I’ve had in years.

Message - Day - Day - Subject

I worked at the message day after day but I just couldn’t make it interesting, despite having a fascinating subject.

Don’t get me wrong. As a preacher and Christian, I’m the first to tell you God’s Word is never boring. But sometimes we preachers make it boring. That’s exactly where I was heading this Sunday.

Message - Days - Success - Preachers - Message

I kept tweaking the message for a few days with little success. I still found it…boring. And preachers, if you’re bored by your message, it’s a guarantee your audience will be as well.

How did I get through it? Well, I dug out everything I know about beating writer’s block and solving the problem of boring writing.

Think - Sunday - Message - Fact

It worked…I think. You only ever really find out on Sunday. But I’m no longer bored by my message. In fact, I was excited to preach it.

Almost every communicator I know has been there…so I thought I’d share my 7 best tips on beating writer’s block and eliminating boring sermons.

Preachers - Message - Guarantee - Audience

Preachers, if you’re bored by your message, it’s a virtual guarantee your audience will be as well.

If a sermon or piece of writing comes off as boring, it’s often because it lacks tension.

Tension - Tension - Story

As much as we all dislike tension personally, without the tension, there is no story.

Think of the universal plot line for every story/book/movie you’ve ever loved.

NOT

It’s NOT this:

Good thing happens.

Thing - Happens

Another good thing happens.

Then lots of good things happen forever.

As much as we...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CareyNieuwhof.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!