How Elisabeth Moss Handles Portraying Trauma on ‘Handmaid’s Tale’

Variety | 8/7/2019 | Anna Tingley
KHALED (Posted by) Level 3

Elisabeth Moss has been dealt her fair share of trauma throughout her on-screen journey in “The Handmaid’s Tale,” an experience the Emmy winner said has forced her to portray suffering in as many new ways possible as for the experience to not become monotonous.

“I just have to keep on trying to do new things, to not do the same thing. To not get the same trauma, the same challenge, the same darkness — that to me, is boring,” Moss said ahead of the screening for the Season 3 finale at the Regency Village Theatre on Tuesday night in Westwood, Calif. “But if I can go to new places and find new ways for things to be dark, then that’s interesting to me.”

Hulu - Drama - Storylines - Group - Handmaids

The Hulu drama is known for its often distressing storylines, following a group of handmaids whose fertility has not yet been compromised by environmental contamination and are used to bear children for the elite upper-class. As the third season sees the titular character June (Moss) lead a quiet rebellion against the draconian government, the show’s disturbing plot continues to steepen, a trend that even the showrunner Bruce Miller had to mitigate to ensure it wasn’t too unbearable for viewers.

Film Review: 'The Kitchen'

June - Situation - Things - Watch - Audience

“June is in a terrible situation and she’s going through terrible things, and I don’t want it to be a hard watch for the audience,” Miller said, noting that he’s more squeamish during those scenes than most of his audiences. “But I do want them to experience the things that June experiences so they can understand her. My rule of thumb is I don’t show anything at all...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tyranny has such cute names, like Democrat, Republican, Congress, Senate...