Nate Parker to premiere movie at Venice film festival after rape controversy

the Guardian | 8/7/2019 | Benjamin Lee
Actor-director Nate Parker will premiere his film American Skin at this year’s Venice film festival, three years after he became mired in controversy over charges of sexual assault.

The film, which is being “presented” by Spike Lee, sees Parker star as an Iraq war veteran whose teenage son is killed by a white police officer.

Brother - Nate - Parker - BRAVE - TOUR

“My brother, Nate Parker, has concocted a BRAVE TOUR DE FORCE,” Lee said in a statement. “I haven’t been affected by a film like this on so many levels in a long, long time. It is my hope and prayer that the movie audience will understand this battle between LOVE and HATE, which has divided our world. Bravo Nate, Bravo.”

Both Parker and Lee are expected to attend the festival and take part in a Q&A with the audience after the screening.

Parker - Films - Non-Stop - Beyond - Lights

Parker, who appeared in films such as Non-Stop and Beyond the Lights, became the toast of 2016’s Sundance film festival with his historical drama The Birth of a Nation, which told the story of Nat Turner’s slave revolt. The film was bought for a record $17.5m by Fox Searchlight with Oscar hopes in mind.

But a charge against Parker was resurfaced from his days in college. Parker, along with his college roommate, Jean Celestin, was accused of raping an unconscious woman. He was acquitted while Celestin was convicted, although this was overturned. The woman later killed herself after two attempts during the trial. “As a 36-year-old father of daughters and person of faith, I look back on that time as a teenager and can say without hesitation that I should have used more wisdom,” Parker said in a Facebook post.

The...
(Excerpt) Read more at: the Guardian
Wake Up To Breaking News!
It's a fight to the death, which you will eventually lose...