‘Hobbs And Shaw’ Is A Wild, Ridiculous Summer Ride Worth Taking

The Federalist | 8/7/2019 | Paulina Enck
srqlolo (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://thefederalist.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/resize-fast-and-furious.jpg

“Fast and Furious Presents: Hobbs and Shaw” may be one of the dumbest, most over-the-top, unrealistic films I’ve seen all year. Its bloated 2 hour and 16 minute runtime is filled with nothing but banter, victory-less fights, banter, explosions, banter, and car chases that would make anyone with a basic understanding of physics sob. And it was probably the most fun I’ve had at a movie all year.

If you watched “Furious 7” and “The Fate of the Furious,” and thought to yourself, “Wow, I’d watch an entire movie of Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham’s characters,” congratulations, this movie was made specifically for you. As someone who walked away from those movies with this exact thought, I was thrilled to hear the announcement of a “Hobbs and Shaw” spinoff, and this film did not disappoint in the slightest.

Hobbs - Shaw - Film - Gone - Days

“Hobbs and Shaw” is a film that, above all, knows exactly what it is and what it is supposed to be. Gone are the days of drag racing, coronas, and family. Those will be saved for the upcoming “Fast and Furious 9.”

By keeping the focus on the two most superhuman characters, the franchise is given never-before-seen permission to go fully over-the-top. For a franchise that transitioned from simple stories about drag racers to explosion-filled secret agent films, this is really saying something. The movie does not even pretend to have any substance, with its heightened plot about superbugs, genocide, and shadowy tech cults purely included as an excuse for our leads to exchange one-liners and fight a genetically modified Idris Elba.

Film - Statham - Johnson - Chemistry - Characters

The film rests heavily on Statham and Johnson’s palpable chemistry as the eponymous characters. While the script probably is overstuffed with one-liners, insults, and pointless tiffs that do not advance the plot or characters in any way, the plot does not actually matter, and...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Federalist
Wake Up To Breaking News!