Startups Weekly: DoorDash gets a taste of Caviar

TechCrunch | 8/1/2019 | Staff
AavyAavy (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://techcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/GettyImages-1147932669.jpg?w=571

Hello and welcome back to Startups Weekly, a weekend newsletter that dives into the week’s noteworthy startups and venture capital news. Before I jump into today’s topic, let’s catch up a bit. Last week, I wrote about SoftBank’s second Vision Fund. Before that, I noted some challenges plaguing mental health tech startups.

Remember, you can send me tips, suggestions and feedback to kate.clark@techcrunch.com or on Twitter @KateClarkTweets. If you don’t subscribe to Startups Weekly yet, you can do that here.

What’s new?

This week DoorDash announced an agreement to acquire Caviar, an on-demand delivery business, from Square. DoorDash says it will pay $410 million for the company in a combination of cash and stock. If you’re thinking that seems like a lot of money, you are very much correct.

Money - TechCrunch - Heads - DoorDash - Kind

It’s so much money that all of us over here at TechCrunch were scratching our heads trying to understand why DoorDash would shell out that kind of cash. After all, Square paid only $90 million in stock for Caviar when it acquired the company back in 2014. However, DoorDash is VC cash-rich. The business, still privately-owned, has raised an astronomical sum of venture capital. This year alone it’s raised $1 billion, including a Series G funding of $600 million that valued it at $12.6 billion.

When a company raises that many huge rounds so close together,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TechCrunch
Wake Up To Breaking News!
What's more plentiful, hydrogen or stupidity?